Sunday 2 October 2016

Music video Self evaluation

Overall I think I was not really satisfied with the music video. There were some good parts but there was a lot I was not happy with.

Things I think I did well...


  • I think the Yellow lanterns worked really well and added some visual interest to the video.
  •  Some of the shots were interesting and I liked the way that they came out especially the dolly shots around the rose garden. 
  • The editing worked well and I found a good way to do it efficiently that didn't take much time.
  • For some of the shots, the colour grade worked really well.
Things I think I could have done better...

  • Shoot more footage... I think I was worried too much about people helping on set being bored and getting tired that I didn't take the initiative to get the number of shots that I really wanted... or go over shots that were "just ok" and do them again to make then good. I really wish I did this better. This was probably the main problem I had that was in my control.
Things I wish had gone better...

  • The biggest problem was that the talent was very uncomfortable in front of the camera... she did after a while loosen up and become less awkward but I think that was the biggest letdown... I wish I did more practice shots first and then more at the end when she was more comfortable.
  • I asked the talent to not were black or white just colours or greys... so she came in a black cardigan over a white t-shirt...
  • Makeup: I really wanted the talent to wear the bright yellow nail polish I gave her... she left it to the last minute and ended up taking it off before she came to the shoot as she said it was "a disaster". (I also just assumed all girls were good at applying nail polish... this is not the case as I found out.)
  • The weather was a big problem for my shoot as I really wanted it to be cloudy... and this is not asking a lot in Invercargill... but the day we were scheduled to shoot it was raining then the next day was sunny... This had a big effect on the colour grade as I needed the high colour temp to oppose the yellow set design.

So I learnt a lot doing this production...

  • Learning the Black magic was really good.
  • Using the follow focus was a great help.
  • Set design and wardrobe is really important but I will make sure I really drill it into the talent what to wear.
  • Set a backup day in case of the wrong/bad weather
  • Shoot more that needed... and don't be too worried (within reason) about taking too much time to get it right.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks - very good, Josh. I find that effective post-mortems are very important for one's development! :-)

    ReplyDelete